Best GPS for Truckers
Today there are a lot of GPS products on the market with a wide range of price points and features. Not all of these products are equal, however, and not all are suited to trucking. Trucking has a lot of demands that the typical GPS device for your average user just won’t handle, including rerouting when there are areas of heavy traffic and even finding a suitable parking space for a commercial vehicle.
When deciding on a GPS device or app for trucking, you will need to decide if you would prefer a dedicated device that sits on your dash or if you will use your smartphone. There are pros and cons to each of these options.
What features should you look for in a trucking GPS?
There are a few trucking GPS features that we consider non-negotiable. They are as follows:
- Brand recognition – you will no doubt be able to find lots of no-name options online, but you get what you pay for, and you really shouldn’t be taking the risk of ending up with a shoddy product when it comes to something as important as your GPS.
- Customer ratings – even a well-known brand could occasionally come out with a product that doesn’t make the grade. Look for customer reviews before you buy.
- Installation – some GPS systems are more complicated to install than others. While this shouldn’t necessarily be the determining factor, it should be considered.
- Ease of use – Your GPS system should be user-friendly and responsive. Make sure to consider ease of use when purchasing your GPS device.
- Options – Trucking-specific GPS devices have a range of options available such as offering fuel prices at various locations, traffic rerouting, and truck stop information. Decide what options are important to you before making your purchase.
Why use a trucking-specific GPS?
While you can use virtually any GPS to show you a route from Point A to Point B, only trucking GPSs are designed specifically with commercial vehicles in mind. Most importantly, they take into account the size and weight of your truck. The last thing you want is to get routed down a street that is too narrow or that has an overpass that is too low for you.
Secondly, trucking-specific GPSs will come pre-loaded with interest points such as weigh stations and truck stops (like your nearest Rhino Truck and Lube Centre!), so you can quickly find a suitable area when you need to take a rest or have maintenance performed on your vehicle.
Finally, with trucking GPS devices, you’ll get real-time updates such as traffic and weather alerts, which can help enhance your safety and make sure you can find the best route possible when trying to meet a deadline.
What is the best trucking GPS device?
There are lots of good products out there, but some of our favourites include:
- Garmin dezl 770 LMTHD
- Rand McNally TND740
- TomTom Trucker 620
- Garmin dezlCam 785 LMT
About Rhino Truck and Lube Centres
At Rhino, we offer a variety of services to truck drivers, including drive-through lube and inspection services, food court, showers, convenience store, truck wash (at select locations), and more.